Frequently Asked Questions
New to VHS Swim and Dive? Welcome to the VHS Swim and Dive Booster Club.
Have a question? Refer to the FAQs below. If you don't find your question, please contact a board member.
1) What is the role of the VHS Swim and Dive Booster Club?
The booster club supports the VHS Swim and Dive team (coaches and athletes). This website is managed by the booster club.
2) What is the purpose of booster club membership?
Parents of our athletes are encouraged to join the booster club. Booster club membership is a form of fundraising. Funds go towards additional costs. Booster club membership allows access to the Members Only section of our website. There are different levels of booster club membership.
3) How do high school swim meets differ from club meets?
High school swim meets are more fun and exciting! Parents and swimmers are invested in ALL of the athletes. The events are louder. Get ready to cheer! Here are a few other differences:
- Athletes travel as a team to/from events.
- Parents do not make hotel and meal reservations for their athlete. The booster club will work with the coaches to handle this.
- Athletes will not stay with parents at out of town meets. Athletes stay with the team in the designated team hotel.
4) What fees and expenses are required of the athlete?
Each athlete has an athlete fee and team uniform costs.
- The athlete fee covers meet meals (breakfast, lunch, and snacks), team t-shirts, and meet caps for the athlete during the season. The athlete fee is spent on the swimmer.
- Each athlete is required to purchase a team uniform (swim suit and warm-ups).
- Dinners at swim meets are not covered. Depending on the timing of the swim meets, the team may not need to stop for dinner.
5) What is the Black and Silver meet?
The Black and Silver meet is the first swim meet of the school year. It is a fun event where the team captains pick the teams and swimmers' races. There is a belly flop contest. It is an opportunity for the parents to meet each other. Bring your lawn chairs and sit on the grass area by lane 1. The swimmers usually plan a team lunch afterwards. The parents have their own social after the meet as well.
6) What is the Viper 10k?
The Viper 10k is the equivalent of a skip-a-thon, jump-rope-a-thon, etc., except the team swims 10000 yards. It is a fundraiser, and each team member is encouraged to achieve a set goal. It is an opportunity for the team to introduce the community to the high school swim team.
7) Can we travel over Thanksgiving and Christmas?
There is practice during the holidays. The Viper 10k is typically held the first part of the Thanksgiving break. So travel after the Viper 10k is fine. During the winter break, there is a practice at the beginning as well. If you will miss a holiday practice, please talk to the coach. Check the calendar for the schedule.
8) What are the team dinners?
The team dinners provide opportunities for the coaches and swimmers to socialize while enjoying their favorite past time: EATING. Parents sign-up to prepare dishes and help with the dinners. The dinners are hosted at a team member's home.
9) How can I view the team Google calendar on my phone?
The team Google calendar is public. On a computer, login to your Google calendar and go to "Other Calendars". Enter "[email protected]" in the box for "Add a friend's calendar". Choose to be able to view the team calendar on your Google calendar.
If you already view your Google calendar on your iPhone calendar, you will need to add the team calendar. Go to https://calendar.google.com/calendar/syncselect. Login to your account if needed. Select the team calendar under "Shared Calendars". Save this change. Then sync your calendar on your iPhone.
On an Android device, use the Google calendar app. Open the Google Calendar app. In the top left, tap Menu. To the left of the calendar's name, make sure the box is checked. If you only see color around the edge of the box, tap the box to show that calendar. If you don't see the calendar listed, tap Show more. At the top of the page, make sure Sync is on (blue).
If you don't use the Google calendar app on an Android device, sync your Google calendar to your device calendar. Select VHS Swim and Dive calendar to sync.
11) How is the high school swimming and diving team different from other high school sports teams?
- Season: The season is almost a full year. It starts at the beginning of school and ends in February. After the season, team members can play water polo or participate in scheduled workouts.
- Facilities: The swim team does not have a facility on site at VHS. The team practices at the Bella Mar Lap Pool. Divers must find a separate facility for practice.